Safely Buy Aygestin ( Norethindrone ) from Canada Prescriptions Plus.
( Top Brand Option )
( Affordable Generic Alternatives )
Aygestin is a birth control medication used to prevent pregnancy as well as to treat menstrual disorders, endometriosis, or abnormal vaginal bleeding.
Norethindrone is a progestogen hormone that helps regulate ovulation and menstruation by affecting the endometrium. This activity helps treat uterine bleeding, endometriosis, and endometrial hyperplasia. Aygestin’s effects on the menstrual cycle also helps it provide contraceptive properties to prevent pregnancy.
Uses and Dosage
The dose of Aygestin prescribed will depend on the individual and the condition being treated. Always follow your doctor’s directives when taking new medications.
- Swallow tablet whole
- For contraception, take one pill daily no more than 24 hours apart
- For menstrual disorders, most women take one pill daily for 5 to 10 days
- Vaginal bleeding often occurs 3 to 7 days after your last dose
- Aygestin is often taken daily long term for endometriosis
- Store at room temperature away from heat and moisture
Aygestin may cause some side effects to develop while it affects your hormone levels and menstruation. Speak with your doctor for more information regarding symptoms you may encounter when taking norethindrone.
Common Aygestin side effects:
- Irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting
- Breast pain or swelling
- Stomach pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting
- Hair loss
- Depressed mood, trouble sleeping
- Weight gain
- Vaginal itching or discharge
Serious Side Effects
Some more serious side effects may occur when taking Aygestin. Stop using this medication and seek medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Sudden vision loss, bulging eyes, severe headache
- Swelling, rapid weight gain
- Unusual vaginal bleeding
- Missed menstrual periods
- Pelvic pain
- Breast lump
- Light-heated feeling, like you might pass out
- Increased thirst, increased urination
- Liver problems (loss of appetite, stomach pain, dark urine, jaundice)
- Blood clot (sudden numbness or weakness, problems with vision or speech, chest pain, shortness of breath, swelling or redness in an arm or leg).
Do not use Aygestin if you are allergic to norethindrone. While this is a naturally occuring hormone, some ingredients in the tablet may cause an allergic reaction. If you develop signs of an allergic reaction, stop using this medication and call your doctor.
Aygestin allergy symptoms may include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling in your face, lips, tongue, or throat
You shouldn’t use estrogen medication while taking Aygestin unless your doctor tells you to do so.
Avoid smoking while taking Aygestin long-term to reduce your risk of having blood clots, strokes, or a heart attack.
Taking Aygestin as a contraceptive method will not protect you from sexually transmitted diseases including HIV and AIDS. Condoms are the only way to protect yourself from these diseases.
To ensure your health and safety, do not use Aygestin if you have any of the following:
- Unusual vaginal bleeding undiagnosed by a doctor
- Liver disease
- Liver tumor
- Breast cancer
- History of blood clots in your brain, eyes, lungs, or legs
Do not use Aygestin while pregnant or if you plan to become pregnant. If you become pregnant while using it, stop taking this medication and contact your doctor right away.
Consult your doctor before taking Aygestin while breastfeeding. You may not be able to take this medication while nursing to ensure the safety of your child.
To ensure Aygestin is safe for you to take, tell your doctor if you have ever had any of the following:
- Heart disease, high blood pressure
- Liver disease
- Migraine headaches
- High cholesterol or triglycerides
- Uterine fibroid tumors
- Kidney disease
- If you smoke
Do not give norethindrone to a child unless instructed to do so by your doctor.
Some other medications may interact with norethindrone and cause unwanted effects. Tell your doctor about all the medications you take, including over the counter medicine, vitamins, and herbal prodcuts, but especially any of the following:
- St. John’s wort
- Antifungal or antibiotic medications
- Tuberculosis medicine
- Medicine to treat HIV or AIDS
- Seizure medication
Form and Strength
This birth control medication is available in tablet form.
Aygestin tablet strength:
The 5mg Aygestin tablets are available in quantities of 30 or 90.
How does Aygestin work?
Aygestin provides your body with higher levels of the female hormone progestin which prevents ovulation and alters the uterine lining to prevent sperm from being able to attach and fertilize an egg. Thanks to these actions, Aygestin functions as a birth control method while also being used to treat menstrual diseases and endometriosis.
How does Aygestin affect your period?
Aygestin, when used long-term either as a form of contraception or to treat endometriosis, can cause irregular menstrual patterns. The medication does this by altering your body’s levels of progestin which prevents ovulation. When taken short term in cycles for menstrual disorders, bleeding usually occurs within 3 to 7 days after your last dose.