Safely Buy Orthovisc ( Sodium Hyaluronan ) from Canada Prescriptions Plus.
( Top Brand Option )
Orthovisc is an arthritis medication that is used to treat knee pain caused by osteoarthritis.
Hyaluronan is a fluid formulation similar to the natural liquid that surrounds your joints. When injected into your knee joint, Orthovisc adds to your natural hyaluronan levels to lubricate the joint area and function as a shock absorber. This helps relieve knee pain associated with osteoarthritis.
Uses and Dosage
The dose of Orthovisc that is prescribed will vary depending on the individual being treated. Follow all your doctor’s instructions and read packaging labels carefully.
- A physician should inject your Orthovisc dose
- Avoid vigorous activities or being on your feet for long periods for 48 hours after an injection
- You may be given one injection or additional doses
- Additional doses are usually injected at least 1 week after your first injection
- Most adults receive a 2ml intraarticular injection once a week for 3 to 4 weeks
- Orthovisc should provide pain relief for several months
- Tell your doctor if symptoms worsen or do not improve
Orthovisc may cause some side effects to develop while easing pain by providing lubrication and shock absorption around your arthritic knee joints. Speak with your doctor for more information regarding any symptoms that you might encounter when receiving Orthovisc injections.
Common Orthovisc side effects:
- Joint pain, stiffness, or swelling
- Itching, numbness, tingling
- Headache, dizziness
- Back pain
- Swelling, pain, redness, or discomfort near injected
Serious Side Effects
Some more serious adverse reactions may occur when receiving hyaluronan injections. Stop using this medication and call your doctor right away if you develop any of the following symptoms:
- Increased knee pain
- Signs of a knee infection (warmth, swelling, redness)
Do not receive Orthovisc injections if you are allergic to the hyaluronan formula or if you are allergic to bird products. If you develop signs of an allergic reaction, stop using this medication and contact your doctor right away.
Orthovisc allergy symptoms may include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
After receiving an Orthovisc injection, avoid vigorous, strenuous, or high-impact activities such as jogging or tennis for at least 48 hours. You should also avoid weight-bearing activities or having to stand for periods longer than an hour.
Do not receive Orthovisc injections if you have any of the following:
- Gram positive bacteria protein allergy
- Bleeding or blood clotting disorder like hemophilia
- Infection in your knee or in the surrounding skin
Orthovisc’s effects on an unborn baby are unclear. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
Hyaluronan may or may not pass into breastmilk and could harm a nursing baby. Consult with your doctor before breastfeeding while using this arthritis medication.
Some other drugs may interact with hyaluronan sodium and cause adverse reactions. Tell your doctor about all the medications you take to avoid this, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Orthovisc is not an approved treatment for anyone under the age of 21.
Form and Strength
This osteoarthritis medication is available in the form of syringes.
Orthovisc syringe injection strength:
The Orthovisc syringes are available in quantities of 1 or 3.
What should I do after an Orthovisc injection?
For 48 hours after receiving an Orthovisc injection you should avoid vigorous or strenuous activities that will put pressure or impact the joints of your knees. You should also avoid having to stand on your feet for a long time because it can cause knee pain and reduce the efficacy of the hyaluronan injections.
How long does it take for Orthovisc to work?
Orthovisc should start to provide relief from joint pain within the first two days of being injected. Depending on how well you rest your knee for the first 48 hours after receiving an injection, the medication should provide relief for several months after completing treatment.