Safely Buy Periactin ( Cyproheptadine ) from Canada Prescriptions Plus.
Periactin is an allergy medication used to treat allergy symptoms such as sneezing, itching, running nose, and watery eyes.
Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine and antiserotonergic drug that blocks receptors in your body that trigger allergic responses as well as serotonin receptor sites. These actions allow Periactin to relieve allergy symptoms and offer a slight sedative effect.
Uses and Dosage
The dose of Periactin that is prescribed will vary depending on the individual being treated. Follow all your doctor’s instructions and read packaging labels carefully to ensure the best results.
- Swallow tablet whole
- Most adults begin by taking 4mg three times a day
- Adults take between 4 and 20mg daily
- Most require 12 to 16mg a day
- Children aged 2 to 6 usually take 2mg two or three times a day
- Young children should not have more than 12mg daily
- Youth aged 7 to 14 take 4mg two or three times a day but no more than 16mg daily
- Do not give Periactin to any child younger than two years of age
- Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat
- Keep away from children and pets
Periactin may cause some side effects to develop while it inhibits histamine and serotonin receptors in your body. Speak with your doctor for more specific information regarding any symptoms you may encounter when taking this allergy medication.
Common Periactin side effects:
- Mild drowsiness, dizziness, or spinning sensation
- Feeling restless or excited (especially in child patients)
- Insomnia, tiredness
- Numbness or tingling
- Increased sweating or urination
- Blurred vision
- Changes in appetite
- Dry mouth or nose, upset stomach
- Nausea, diarrhea, constipation
Serious Side Effects
Some more serious adverse reactions may occur when taking cyproheptadine. Stop taking Periactin and contact your doctor immediately if you notice any of the following side effects:
- Confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behaviour
- Ringing ears
- Feeling like you may pass out
- Fast or pounding heartbeats
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Urinating less than usual or not at all
- Pale or yellowed skin, dark coloured urine, fever, unusual weakness
Do not take Periactin if you are allergic to cyproheptadine. If you develop signs of an allergic reaction, stop using this allergy medication and contact your doctor right away.
Periactin allergy symptoms may include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
Do not take Periactin within 14 days of using an MAO inhibitor such as furazolidone, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or others. When used together, dangerous interactions could occur.
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Periactin because it can cause an increase in unwanted cyproheptadine side effects.
Be careful when driving or performing tasks that require alertness because cyproheptadine can impair your thinking or reactions.
Consult your doctor before giving this allergy medication to a child because serious effects can occur when cold or allergy medications are misused with very young children.
Do not use Periactin if you have any of the following:
- Narrow-angle glaucoma
- Stomach ulcer or obstruction
- Enlarged prostate or urination problems
- If you are having an asthma attack
- If you are elderly or have a debilitating disease
To ensure your safety in taking this allergy medication, tell your doctor if you have any of the following:
- History of asthma
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- An overactive thyroid gland
Periactin can cause drowsiness, a side effect that can be increased if the medicine is used with other cold or allergy medications, sedatives, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxants, or medications for seizures, depression, or anxiety. Tell your doctor if you use any of these medicines.
Some other drugs can interact with cyproheptadine and cause adverse reactions. To ensure your safety, tell your doctor about all the medications you take, including over the counter medicine, vitamins, and herbal products.
Cyproheptadine is not expected to cause harm to an unborn baby if taken during pregnancy. However, make sure you tell your doctor if you become pregnant to monitor your progress.
Whether this medication passes into breast milk or not is uncertain. Do not breastfeed while taking Periactin to avoid having your nursing child develop any adverse reactions.
Form and Strength
This antiallergenic medication is available in tablet form.
Periactin tablet strength:
The 4mg Periactin tablets are available in quantities of 30.
How does Periactin relieve allergy symptoms?
Periactin is an antihistaminic and antiserotonergic drug that helps relieve allergy symptoms such as watery eyes, runny nose, itching, and sneezing, through inhibitory actions. Cyproheptadine blocks histamine and serotonin receptors in your body which inhibits your body’s allergen responses that lead to these symptoms.
What to avoid while taking Periactin?
You should avoid drinking alcohol while taking Periactin to relieve allergy symptoms. When taken in combination with cyproheptadine, alcohol can cause an increase in unwanted side effects. This allergy medication may also impair your thinking and reactions so be careful when driving or performing any tasks that require alertness, especially until you know how the medication will effect you.