Safely Buy Symmetrel ( Amantadine ) from Canada Prescriptions Plus.
( Top Brand Option )
Symmetrel is an anti-dyskinetic and antiviral medication used to treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease as well as prevent or treat flu infections.
Amantadine is an antiparkinsonian and antiviral drug that helps balance dopamine and acetylcholine levels in your brain to reduce movement symptoms related to Parkinson’s. At low doses, Symmetrel also inhibits influenza A virus replication to prevent serious illness from flu infections.
Dosage and Administration
The dose of Symmetrel that is prescribed will vary depending on the individual and condition being treated. Follow all your healthcare provider’s instructions and read packaging labels carefully to ensure the best results during treatment. Do not change your dose or stop using Symmetrel without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- Swallow tablets and capsules whole
- Take with food in the morning and midday
- Store at room temperature away from children and pets
To treat Parkinson’s disease:
- Most adults start by taking 100mg once daily
- After one week of treatment doses can increase to 200mg divided daily
- Adults should take no more than 300mg a day in divided doses
- Your healthcare provider may prescribe moments of temporary withdrawal to restore Symmetrel’s activity
- Do not suddenly stop taking Symmetrel, gradually reduce your dose as directed
- Patients already being treated with another antiparkinsonian drug should gradually reduce their dose while initiating treatment with Symmetrel
- Patients being treated with high doses of anticholinergic drugs or L-dopa should extend the initial 100mg dosage from one week to 15 days
To prevent and treat influenza A infections:
- Adults should take 200mg daily divided into 2 doses
- Patients with lower tolerance can reduce their dose to 100mg once daily
- To prevent infection, start treatment with Symmetrel before contact and continue for 6 weeks or until the end of the flu outbreak
- When taken with an influenza A vaccine, continue Symmetrel treatment for 2 to 3 weeks
- To treat the flue, start Symmetrel within 48 hours of symptoms developing and continue treatment for 4 to 5 days
Symmetrel may cause some side effects to develop while altering your levels of dopamine and acetylcholine. Speak with your healthcare provider to learn more about any symptoms that you may have during treatment.
Common Symmetrel side effects:
- Dizziness, faintness
- Sunburn symptoms that occur more quickly than normal
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Swelling feet or ankles
- Indigestion, loss of appetite
- Nausea, vomiting
- Constipation, diarrhea
- Difficulty concentrating
- Nervousness, anxiety, depression
- Insomnia, strange dreams
- Weakness, shakiness
- Excessive sweating
- Hair loss
Serious Side Effects
Some more serious adverse reactions may occur during treatment with Symmetrel. Contact your healthcare provider right away if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Stiff, rigid muscles, sweating, fast heartbeat, feeling disoriented
- Constant flu-like symptoms (chills, fever, sore throat, aching joints, mouth sores, swollen glands)
- Swelling feet or ankles
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Uncontrollable muscle movements
- Fainting spells or seizures
- Trouble speaking, slurred speech
- Unusually high energy or activity
- Confusion, disorientation, hallucinations
- Difficulty urinating
- Sudden loss of vision, trouble focusing your eyes
Do not take Symmetrel if you are allergic to amantadine or any of the other tablet or capsule ingredients. Stop taking this medication and call your healthcare provider if you develop an allergic reaction during treatment.
Symmetrel allergy symptoms may include:
- Rash, itching, hives
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Wheezing, shortness of breath
- Trouble breathing
To ensure your safety when taking Symmetrel, tell your healthcare provider if you have ever had any of the following:
- Kidney or liver disease
- Mental disorder
- Circulation problems
- Stomach ulcers
- Low blood pressure
- Prostate problems
- Recurring skin problems such as eczema
Do not use Symmetrel if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant because the medication may cause harm to your unborn child.
Consult with your healthcare provider before breastfeeding while taking Symmetrel. This medication passes into your breastmilk and may affect your nursing child.
Some Symmetrel users have reported developing unusual changes in their behaviour including sudden urges to gamble, binge eat, shop, or have sex. Contact your healthcare provider if you notice any similar changes in your behaviour.
Symmetrel may cause some users to become agitated, irritable, or develop other unusual behaviours. Some may develop suicidal thoughts and actions. Tell your healthcare provider if you notice any changes in your behaviour including any sudden or strong feelings.
Avoid drinking alcohol during treatment with Symmetrel because it can cause an increase in adverse reactions.
Do not drive or perform any hazardous activities, especially not until you know how this medication affects you, because Symmetrel may cause you to become dizzy, drowsy, or light-headed.
Some drugs can interact with Symmetrel and cause unwanted reactions. Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including over the counter medications, but especially any of the following:
- Other medications for Parkinson’s disease
- Medicines to treat depression or other mental disorders
- Medications that affect your nervous system (sedatives, pain killers, and others)
- Medicines to treat abdominal or stomach cramps
- Certain combination diuretics used to treat high blood pressure (hydrochlorothiazide and triamterene)
Form and Strength
This anti-dyskinetic and antiviral medication is available in tablet and capsule forms.
Symmetrel tablet and capsule strengths:
The 100mg Symmetrel capsules and tablets are both available in quantities of 100.
When is the best time of day to take Symmetrel?
It is recommended that you take your dose of Symmetrel in the morning and midday. Take your doses at the same times each day for the best response during treatment. Follow all instructions provided by your healthcare provider to ensure the best results.
What can you not take with Symmetrel?
Some medications can interact with Symmetrel, including those used to treat Parkinson’s disease, depression, mental disorders, stomach cramps, and high blood pressure, as well as medicines that affect your nervous system. Tell your healthcare provider about all the medications you take to avoid adverse reactions. You should also avoid drinking alcohol during treatment because it can cause an increase in side effects.