Safely Buy Tapazole ( Methimazole ) from Canada Prescriptions Plus.
( Top Brand Option )
Tapazole is a thyroid medication used to treat hyperthyroidism, a condition where the thyroid gland is overactive. The medication is also used before thyroid surgery or radioactive iodine treatment to manage thyroid hormone levels.
Methimazole is a thionamide drug that reduces your levels of thyroid hormones such as triiodothyronine and thyroxine. By inhibiting the production of these hormones, Tapazole helps manage overactive thyroid glands.
This thyroid medication is an effective treatment of hyperthyroidism with a lower incidence of adverse effects compared to other forms of treatment such as propylthiouracil. Tapazole may also help decrease your risk of developing liver damage while increasing the thyroid-stimulating hormone to improve the management of your symptoms.
Uses and Dosage
The dose of Tapazole that is prescribed will vary depending on the individual being treated. Follow all your doctor’s instructions and read packaging labels carefully to ensure the best results during treatment.
- Swallow tablets whole
- Take a dose every 8 hours
- Adults usually take an initial dose of 15mg for mild hyperthyroidism up to 60mg for severe hyperthyroidism, divided into 3 equal doses
- Most adults take 5 to 15mg divided daily
- Children usually take 0.4mg per kilogram of body weight divided into 3 doses a day
- Maintenance doses for children tend to be half the initial dose
- If you notice your child’s weight fluctuating while taking Tapazole, contact your doctor
- Use Tapazole regularly each day for the best therapeutic results
- Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat
- Keep away from children and pets
Tapazole may cause some side effects to develop while lowering and maintaining your thyroid hormone levels. Speak with your doctor for more specific information regarding any symptoms that you may experience when taking methimazole.
Common Tapazole side effects:
- Nausea, vomiting, upset stomach
- Headache, dizziness, drowsiness
- Numbness or tingling feeling
- Rash, itching, skin discolouration
- Muscle or joint pain
- Hair loss
- Decreased sense of taste
Serious Side Effects
Some more serious adverse reactions may occur when taking methimazole. Stop using this thyroid medication and call your doctor right away if you develop any of the following side effects:
- Swollen glands in your neck or jaw
- Liver problems (nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, tiredness, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-coloured stools, jaundice)
Serious and possibly fatal infections may develop during treatment. Stop taking Tapazole and call your doctor immediately if you have any if the following signs of infection:
- Sudden weakness or ill feeling, fever, chills, sore throat, cold or flu symptoms
- Painful mouth sores, pain when swallowing, red or swollen gums
- Pale skin, easy bruising, unusual bleeding
Do not use Tapazole if you are allergic to methimazole or other thionamide drugs such as carbimazole. If you develop signs of an allergic reaction, stop taking this medication and contact your doctor.
Tapazole allergy symptoms may include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat
Do not breastfeed while taking Tapazole because methimazole can pass into your breastmilk and cause harm.
To ensure your safety when taking Tapazole, tell your doctor if you have any of the following:
- Liver disease
- Blood cell disorder
- Weakened immune system
Methimazole can cause your immune system to weaken which can leave you more susceptible to becoming sick or infected. Avoid being near others who are sick or with infections; tell your doctor right away if you have any signs of an infection.
Some drugs may interact with methimazole and cause unwanted effects. To avoid this, tell your doctor about all the medications you take, including over the counter medicine, but especially any of the following:
- Digoxin, digitalis, theophylline
- Blood thinners
- Beta blockers (atenolol, carvedilol, labetalol, and others)
Tapazole may cause harm to an unborn baby if used during pregnancy. Consult with your doctor if you are pregnant or become pregnant while taking methimazole.
Do not give a child Tapazole unless you follow medical advice from your doctor.
Form and Strength
This thyroid medication is available in tablet form.
Tapazole tablet strength:
The 5mg Tapazole tablets are available in quantities of 90, 100, and 200.
How does Tapazole make you feel?
Tapazole may cause some mild side effects during treatment, such as weakness or ill feeling, fever, chills, a sore throat, and cold or flu symptoms. These reactions tend to be minimal and transient in patients and may depend on the amount taken for your initial dose. Speak with your doctor for more information.
What are the instructions for Tapazole?
Tapazole is an oral medication that should be taken in 3 daily doses 8 hours apart. When first starting treatment, you will take an initial divided dose that is larger than your maintenance doses which can range from 5 to 15mg daily.
90, 100, 200